Mental Health and Wellbeing Support

Mental Health and Wellbeing Support

Support for you

You may find that life at university challenges you in unexpected ways, especially if you're balancing your studies with work and home commitments. If you feel stressed or anxious, you can find support at the University of Wolverhampton. 

Our Mental Health and Wellbeing team can help you access support for various personal difficulties. They provide free and confidential advice covering a range of topics, including anxiety, confidence and depression, homesickness and dealing with suicidal thoughts. They provide support for eating disorders, cultural and identity issues, as well as coping with trauma, loss and grief. Students can also access guidance for developing positive work, life and study balance.

If you are a student experiencing a mental health or wellbeing difficulty, please register for support using the button below. Read the Student Agreement for more information on our service, including how we operate and store your information.

If you need immediate help, please visit our I need help now webpage. 

Register for support

Complete the online form

Once registered a member of our team will contact you within 2 working days.  

Access the support you need

If you are a student who is concerned that you might harm yourself, you need to contact an emergency or crisis support service. Please visit the I need help now webpage for further information. 

The team has different specialist practitioners - including counsellors and other mental health specialists. After you have registered, we may invite you to a one-to-one appointment.

Meeting with one of our counsellors or mental health practitioners is about making a positive choice to get help from someone who is not involved in any aspect of your life. It offers you the chance to focus on and understand your difficulties.

We will listen and offer support and understanding while simultaneously accepting your values, attitudes and lifestyle in a non-judgmental way.

Our one-to-one work with you is confidential except in rare circumstances – for example, when someone may be in serious danger. In these rare instances, we will seek to discuss any potential sharing of confidential information with you in advance (see our Student Agreement for more information).

If you are allocated an appointment, our focus will be on developing your strengths, skills and resources to cope. We help you to find the answers.

We offer a wide range of wellbeing events throughout the academic year for students to join, including our regular Wellbeing Day and Let's Talk sessions. Please take a look at the Wellbeing Champions webpages for the latest activity, and keep an eye on the student news and events page for more student news. 



We provide a wide range of mental health-related self-help resources for our students, including leaflets, apps and our 24/7 Togetherall online service.

Find out more below. 

When supporting a student in distress, we operate a three-level response model:

  1. Supported signposting: This is the appropriate course of action in most cases.
  2. Seek advice: When a student is unable or unwilling to register with the Mental Health & Wellbeing team, but you still consider they need specialist support.
  3. Imminent harm/emergency: When a student is at imminent risk of harming themselves – for example, stating that they have a plan to take their own life – or posing a serious threat to another person.

Read more on our Responding to a student is distress webpage

It is important to remember that your job, as the staff member who is aware of the student’s distress, is to determine which of the three levels is most appropriate and follow the guidelines for that level. 

In the vast majority of cases, level 1 is the appropriate response. The other two levels are there to cover more complex, more infrequent situations. Level 2 is for complex issues that may have some urgency but are not emergencies. Level 3 is for emergencies, which many staff may never encounter with a student.

If you are worried about a friend or family member, for example, your son or daughter, who is studying with us at the University, please encourage them to seek help and share with them this friendly link to our website: 

Go to our Advice for a concerned parent, carer or friend webpage for further information.

Self-care resources

Self-help can be a good starting point if something is troubling you and you aren't sure if you feel ready to talk to someone at the moment. It allows you to tackle problems like stress, anxiety and depression in your own time and at a pace that suits you. 

Do you need immediate help?


If you are concerned that you might harm yourself, you need to contact an emergency or crisis support service.

Register for support